A "polite" pass is quite contrary to substantive notes. When they are polite, they don't want to see you again. If they really liked you and your project they'd be cruel. Or something close to it. So how do you know they never want to see you again?
- It's too close to what we are already committed to.
- We can't wait to see what you do/have next!
- We'd be interested if you beef up the comedy/action/horror/penis jokes.
- Our slate is too full to pay it the attention it deserves.
- We have very defined focus these days.
- It doesn't fit our model.
- We love it, but you know who would really get this project? Here let me give you so&so's number/email.
- I think Star #23 would really respond to this. If you got Star #23, we'd really be interested in it. It's perfect for them. Get them and we are IN!
- You really are onto something here. Thing is, we would need a regular and consistent supply for this audience -- we can't do just one. You should build a whole slate around this.
- Come back to us when you've built out the transmedia components.*
- Come back to us when you've built up a substantial community.*
*= Okay, they don't actually say this yet, but they will by the end of 2012 (or is it 2013?)