This is a re-post of an email I got from Film Forum. I thought you all should consider it. It is reprinted without permission... Each of these NYC cinemas played provocative art films and/or classic revivals. But over the years they closed their doors for any number of reasons. Not one is in business today.
The Metro, The Baronet, Festival Theatre, Cinema Studio, 68th Street Playhouse, Carnegie Hall Cinema, Art Greenwich, Garrick Cinema, The New Yorker, Charles Theatre, The Little Carnegie, 55th Street Playhouse, The Gramercy, The Coronet, Embassy 72nd Street Theatre, Fine Arts Theatre, Sutton Theater, The Beekman, Bleecker Street Cinema, The Elgin, Cinema III, 8th Street Playhouse, The Biograph, Plaza Theatre, The St. Marks, First Avenue Screening Room, The Regency Theatre
2010 marks Film Forum's 40th anniversary, a landmark occasion for us. Thanks to friends like you, we are able to continue to present the best in new and classic film.
Members and individual donors give more than $800,000 a year to offset our operating costs.
Your generous gifts make it possible for us to:
- take chances on new American and foreign independent premieres
- create ambitious repertory programs spotlighting classic directors, stars, genres and themes
- bring films from abroad that do not have American distribution
- ship 35mm prints of rare films from international archives
- provide live piano accompaniment for silent movies and other live events
- update our equipment to assure superb image and sound
- encourage filmmakers to make special appearances and meet our audiences
- attend film festivals throughout the world to find the most exciting, undiscovered directors
- pay filmmakers and distributors a fair remuneration
By supporting Film Forum now with a contribution - of any size - you will help ensure that Film Forum thrives for the next 40 years. We would not exist without the loyalty of our members and donors.
Please make a 100% tax-deductible gift to our annual appeal. Your generosity will guarantee that we are here for your enjoyment now, and for years to come.
Click here to donate online.
Click here to print a donation form, if you prefer to send a check.
What do I get for my donation? The knowledge that you've helped independent and repertory movies stay alive and well in New York City. And our sincere appreciation.
What don't I get? Not a single Film Forum-embossed tchotchke.
Many thanks for considering this request. We look forward to seeing you at the movies.
Best regards, Karen Cooper Director
For more information, contact Keith Butler at 212-627-2035 x225 or email@example.com